Get Involved with TAJ!
We are always looking for driven and committed individuals to help us grow TAJ to its full potential. You have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience on building an academic platform to a global scale.
Why should you join?
- A great platform to learn about the academic field and the publishing process.
- Connect with like-minded individuals who are passionate about original research that concerns Tamil people globally
- A great opportunity to network with academics and practitioners who work on Tamil issues
- You will play a part in creating an institution that is the first of its kind for the Tamil diaspora
How you can get involved
There are two ways you can get involved:
- TAJ Central Team: We have three teams (editorial, social media and external relations), see below for the job descriptions.
- We currently do not have vacancies for any positions in the central team, but if you think you are a good fit for any of the roles, please do fill in the application form and we will always look for opportunities to get you involved if we think you are a good fit.
- Volunteer Network: We have a group of volunteers who give their time when they can to assist with ad hoc tasks.
- Please fill in the form if you would like to be a volunteer and we will add you to our volunteers group and let you know when opportunities arise.
Central Team Job Roles
- The Editors are responsible for the daily and overall operation of TAJ.
- The Editors read all incoming manuscripts, and discuss and decide which ones are sent for peer-review, and subsequently, to the Editorial Board for evaluation.
- Editors liaise regularly with Deputy Editors to review their work and discuss any pending issues.
- Editors help Deputy Editors finding peer reviewers for submitted manuscripts.
- Editors play a crucial part in organising the Annual Conference, including proposing a theme, inviting keynote speakers, deciding on the conference abstract submissions, etc.
Students as well as professionals who have a keen interest in academic research are encouraged to apply. We are currently recruiting for 4 Editors. You are expected to commit 2-3 hours weekly, more may be required during busy periods such as during abstract deadlines and our annual conference.
Social Media Coordinator
- As a Social Media Coordinator, you will be responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring TAJ’s social media platforms to promote our work and reach wider audiences.
- Work as a team to manage TAJ’s Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages.
- Use WordPress to edit and update the TAJ website (training will be provided so no prior experience is required).
- Create content (through platforms such as Canva) that will be used on our social media pages and website to promote our work/events.
- Attend meetings and coordinate with the team to make relevant and timely posts.
- Maintain our social media platforms by regularly posting interactive/engaging content
- Manage our email account and coordinate newsletters
- As part of the External Relations team, you will be responsible for liaising with TAJ’s partners and external stakeholders to further TAJ’s aims.
- Work as a team to manage relationships with TAJ’s partners and stakeholders
- Represent and promote TAJ by attending and speaking at events
- Proactively initiate and maintain partnerships with relevant organisations and institutions
- Oversee the quarterly newsletter to TAJ’s mailing list subscribers
- Launch a funding mechanism for TAJ
- Initiate new relationships to gather funds for TAJ to carry out its activities
- Coordinate TAJ ambassadors
Students as well as professionals are able to apply. You are expected to commit 2-3 hours weekly, more may be required during busy periods such as during abstract deadlines and our annual conference.
Please note that our roles are all voluntary and unpaid.